Thursday, August 9, 2012

Crystals!


On monday, we also made crystals (idea from here), as well as pom pom poppers.
Evan forming his pipe cleaner shapes.

Stirring, stirring, stirring to dissolve borax in water.


All in a row (pre-crystal-growth)

My robot.

DRAMATIC view of my crystal robot.

E for Evan

Balloon (and weird face)

EVAN's robot.

All in a row (after growth)

-Ben

From Mom:  This was SUPER easy!  The kids had used a recipe from a science kit to attempt to make sugar crystals, with only a tiny bit of success after several days of waiting, but the blogger I borrowed this project from seemed very confident about it, so we gave it a shot.  Our crystals are HUGE compared to others I have seen - wish I knew what affects their size!  If you decide to try it, I highly recommend using pipe cleaners instead of pencils or dowels to suspend the forms from, because it is really easy to adjust them to the right depth in the solution below.

3 comments:

  1. every time I try to publish a comment it asks me to prove I'm not a robot. But wouldn't it be cool if I WAS a robot checking out Ben and Evan's robots - just sayin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEE HEE HEE! I get what you mean! I have seen those too, with distorted text that you have to type. I am glad you enjoy our blog.

      Delete

We LOVE comments - thanks for letting us know what you think of our blog!